With its 19 km 2, the island of Capraia is the third largest island in the Tuscan archipelago after Elba and Giglio. The island, especially during the summer, is affected by a moderate tourist flow. To reach Capraia, you can start from the port of Livorno, which leave regularly from the ferry (the distance between the two airports is 34.5 nautical miles, equivalent to 64 km, ocean carriers employ just under three hours to reach at destination).
Famous for its coves, its crystalline sea and the beauty of its bucolic landscape, Capraia was also a place of expiation: between 1873 and 1986 the island was in fact a penal colony. On the territory there are also still present a castle (the Fort of San Giorgio ) and four watchtowers, which remind us of the time when the pirates raged with their raids in the Mediterranean basin.
As far as traditions are concerned, the Walking Festival (in spring) and the Squid Festival (at the beginning of November) are worth mentioning. Among the local products, Capraia Aleatico PGI undoubtedly stands out.